Whether you have recently traveled or watched the TV news, you probably heard about the Real ID Law in Illinois. Congress passed this law in 2005 and applies to federally-controlled facilities and most airports.
With this law, it makes identification cards — like driver’s licenses — more secure and harder to forge. It was one of the recommendations that the 9/11 Commissions suggested. Here are a few things you need to know and how to get one.
- The official deadline for needing a Real ID is still over a year away and falls on October 1, 2020.
- In Illinois, it will cost the same to get a Real ID as the current prices for a driver’s license ($30) and state ID ($20).
- Applying for a real ID requires a document that proves your identify like a birth certificate or passport, your Social Security number, two documents for proof of residency, and a written signature.
- You can get a Real ID at the same driver’s services facility you currently use.
- Once you have all the necessary documents, you will receive a temporary paper ID. This is not valid at airports. You will receive your new ID in the mail within 15 business days.